What is uterine laparoscopy?
A gynaecological laparoscopy is a procedure where your surgeon uses a camera (laparoscope) to see inside your lower abdomen.This means they will be able to see your uterus (womb), fallopian tubes and ovaries. They will also be able to see other parts of your body, such as your bladder and bowel. As well as looking inside your abdomen, your surgeon can also use special instruments to do tests or treat certain gynaecological conditions. Gynaecological laparoscopy can be used to diagnose a condition and/or to treat it. If laparoscopy is used to diagnose a disease, it usually does not need to be hospitalized after surgery, but if it used for treatment, you need to stay at the hospital for one night.
Preparations for uterine laparoscopy surgery
The surgeon will explain the preparation for you before and after surgery. In the weeks before your surgery, you should.
- Stop smoking and avoid excessive alcohol.
- Eat a well-balanced diet including plenty of foods rich in vitamin C, which may help promote tissue healing.
- Avoid aspirin or other aspirin-like medications for five to seven days before your surgery, but be sure and discuss it with your health care provider before stopping any medication.
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t eat anything for six hours before your operation
- Check heart rate and blood pressure by nurse
- Test your urine, this urine test is done to confirm that you are not pregnant.
- Familiarize yourself with the extent of your medical benefit plan before your operation so you will know what portion of the costs will be your responsibility.
- Knowing what to expect after surgery is as important as knowing what to expect beforehand. Pain is an inevitable part of surgery. Other nonmedical approaches to pain management can be very successful. These may include: relaxation techniques, applying heat or ice to the surgical site & massage and stretching exercises.
Your surgeon will discuss with you what will happen before your uterine laparoscopy surgery, including any pain you might have. If you’re unsure about anything, just ask. You may be asked to do this by signing a consent form.